Simon Rimmer’s cool and creamy lemon tart can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge. Make it extra special with raspberry champagne sauce.
- 1 x 25cm/10in sweet shortcrust pastry tart shell, baked blind (you can use ready-made pastry)
For the filling
- 300g/10½oz mascarpone
- 300g/10½oz caster sugar
- 6 lemons, juice, and zest
- 6 free-range eggs, plus 6 free-range egg yolks
For the raspberry champagne sauce
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 150ml/5½fl oz champagne
- 200g/7oz fresh raspberries
- icing sugar
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Beat the mascarpone, caster sugar, lemon juice, and zest together in a bowl until very smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and egg yolks until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tart shell and bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until set. Remove the tart from the oven and set aside to cool, then leave to chill in the fridge.
- For the sauce, bring the sugar and champagne to the boil in a saucepan, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, then add the raspberries and set aside to cool completely.
- Blend the sauce in a blender until smooth, then pass through a sieve.
- To serve, cut a slice of the tart, sprinkle over some icing sugar and caramelize with a cook’s blowtorch (optional).
Place the slice onto a serving
plate and drizzle over a little sauce. Top with the raspberries and whipped cream.